Thursday, May 20, 2010

Feedback

Giving feedback is one of the key activity that manager has to carry out.
It is not easy to give feedback specifically we Indians need to learn about giving feedback. Culturally we tend to avoid giving feedback.

Next time when you have to give feedback I suggest that you use the incident, impact and expected behavior method.

I would illustrate with some examples

Example 1

Incident 

When you don't turn up for the meeting on time then...

Impact

It really upsets my entire schedule...

Expected behavior

Going forward can we agree that we start the meeting on time?

Example 2

Incident 

When you don't look at me while I am discussing something then...

Impact

It makes me think that you are not present in the conversation and you are not listening...

Expected behavior

Can we agree that you will look at me and pay attention when I am talking to you...

Example 3

Incident

When you interrupt someone during the meeting when he has not finished...

Impact

Often people feel that you are not valuing his contribution...

Expected behavior

Going forward could you please let anyone finish without interrupting any one ?
 
These are just some of the situations to illustrate the idea. 
Can you see how you can use this in your situations?

No comments: